The aim of this website is to bring you the history of one of the British army’s finest regiments of the past for all future generations to read and admire.
The 14th were originally raised as Dormer’s Dragoons in 1715 during the First Jacobite Rising. The regiment became Light Dragoons in 1776 and were designated as hussars in 1861. The 20th were raised as light dragoons in 1759 and became hussars in 1862.
Originally named the 14th/20th Hussars, the regiment was created on the 1st October 1922 by the amalgamation of the 14th King’s Hussars and the 20th (XHX) Hussars, as part of the reductions in the Army after the First World War. The honorific King’s was added back into the title in 1936.
The 14th/20th King’s Hussars became part of the Royal Armoured Corps (RAC) when it was formed in April 1939 by combining the Horse mounted Cavalry units that had mechanised and the Royal Tank Corps (which was renamed the Royal Tank Regiment).
In 1941, a cadre of personnel from the regiment was used to form the 26th Hussars.
The 14th/20th King’s Hussars amalgamated with The Royal Hussars (PWO) on the 4th December 1992 at York Barrack in Munster, Germany to form The King’s Royal Hussars.
Nicknames associated with the 14th/20th King’s Hussars
Hawks / The Emperors Chambermaids / The Ramnuggur Boys’
Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense (Evil be to Him who Evil Thinks)
Home Headquarters Address:
The King’s Royal Hussars
Tel (Civ): 01962 828539
Tel (Mil): 94271 5139